TROPIC is an Specific Targeted Research Project (STREP) of the 7th Framework Programme of the European Commission. The goals of TROPIC are aligned with objectives ICT-2011 1.1 “Future Networks (subtopic: Wireless and mobile broadband systems)” and ICT-2007.1.2 “Cloud Computing, Internet of Services and Advanced Software Engineering”. TROPIC is a consortium of 10 partners coordinated by UPC.
Femtocell networks are currently seen as the new communication paradigm for the ever-increasing ubiquitous wireless traffic demands. Being pervasive by nature, its proximity to the subscriber opens a new world of possibilities for the development of applications. Among them, cloud computing services demanded by smartphones could be moved from large server farms to HeNBs, provided that these are equipped with computational and storage resources, thus improving user experience on latency and download/upload speed.
TROPIC addresses this scenario by exploiting advanced MP2MP communications schemes, innovative virtualization procedures, and a cross-layer approach to the allocation of resources understood in a wide sense: radio, computational/storage capacity and energy.
TROPIC work programme includes the definition and characterization of the system level building blocks and their required interfaces for the implementation of a full system emulator and the development of a proof of concept platform.
Mobile Edge Computing, Small cells, Small cell cloud, Mobility management, Radio resource management
Major results and publications
- 5G Radio Access Network (RAN) - Centralized RAN, Cloud-RAN and Virtualization of Small Cells (H. Venkataraman, R. Trestian, eds.), CRC Press, Taylor and Francis Group, USA, 2017.
- IEEE Communications Surveys & Tutorials, volume 19, no. 3, 2017.
- Computer Networks, volume 108, 2016.
- Transactions on Emerging Telecommunications Technologies, volume 27, no. 5, 2016.
- 09/2012 – 04/2015
- Project no.:
- EC FP7
- Budget (6Gm):
- 252k EUR
- PI (6Gm):
- Zdenek Becvar (WP leader)
- Team (6Gm):
- Pavel Mach, Jakub Dolezal, Michal Vondra, Jan Plachy
- UPC Barcelona, CEA Leti,...